Monday, February 8, 2016

New Industrial Sculpture "Brake"

I finished creating a new sculpture in my series of industrial sculptures.  The title of the piece is 'Brake'.  It measures 44.5 inches in height, the base is 15.5 inches by 7.5 inches.

This piece, like all of the free standing  industrial sculptures I create, are created with a vision of them being a complete 360 degree work of art.  The piece has been created from building materials and found objects.  One of the found objects is a part of the brake drum assembly from a vehicle. I discovered it lying in a parking lot at a big box home improvement store already aged to perfection. The piece of natural wood was found on a beach of the Gulf of Mexico in the Tampa Bay area.

The first two photographs show both sides of the piece.





The hand rubbed finish in combination with the rustic building materials really works well together.  The following series of photographs are detail images first from one side and then the other.

Side one.









Side two.












The last two photographs are sort of overhead shots.









Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sculpture Repair

I do a lot of different things for people.  This past week I did a repair on a funky sculpture.

Here is what it looks like.  I wasn't thinking about making a post on this job as it's just a little almost side thing I did.  So I had already but the neck and head back onto the body of the bird before I thought about taking a picture.  You can see the white band at the base of the neck is where the whole thing broke off.  So when I got it the bird was in two pieces, the body and stand was one part and the neck and head the other part.



So what I first did was to drill two small holes on either side of the neck and body so I could insert metal pins that would go into both pieces.  Then I used a two part epoxy cement and made sure some of it got into each hole, inserted the pins and held the neck onto the body until it set up enough to let it rest by itself.  The epoxy really did the trick, the next day it was totally stuck on.


This next photo shows the front part of the break.  That's where most the damage was done.  Some pretty big pieces broke off so once the epoxy dried I used M & H ready patch to fill in the gaps.
I had to apply it in a few layers because of how much of the original sculpture had broken off.  Once that dried I sanded it smooth and you can see the result.


This next photo shows where two of the feathers had broken off (green arrows) and also where some chunks of the feather tips had broken off.  I used the M & H to rebuilt those areas and epoxied the feathers back on.


Apparently what happened was the homeowners got a new puppy and the dog jumped up on the piece and knocked it over.  The neck also had three cracks (red arrows)  the green arrow being where the neck separated from the body.


The next photo is a few of the pieces that had broken off at the main separation point, you see some where fairly big and with no chance of actually using them again I turned to the M & H to fill in and rebuild.


The following series of photos shows how well the repair came out.  After I painted it to match you absolutely can not tell it was ever broken apart.





Just look where the feathers were broken off, you can't even tell at all.





Monday, November 23, 2015

Paint Kitchen Cabinets Espresso Brown

This past week I created an espresso brown wood grain on a set of island cabinets in a kitchen.  This project really came out great.  The butcher block on the island is new also.  This first photo is the completed island.

paint kitchen cabinets

The next two photos are the before pictures.  The built-in wine rack was a challenge to get around.  The second picture here I had already taken off the doors and drawer fronts.





The first step is to clean the kitchen cabinets really well.  In the kitchen they are going to have cooking oils and grease on them no matter how well they are kept clean.  So what I do is wash them down really well with a degreaser then rub some 320 grit sandpaper over the all the surfaces.  Once I tack that I prime the cabinets.  The next three photos show the island primed.  I take home the doors and drawer fronts to do at home.






 After the primer is dried I apply the base coat of paint as you can see in the next photo.


Once the base coat has dried over night I tape off the panels on the back side of the island so I can paint the espresso wood grain on.  With the three panels there I tape off the top and bottom and then paint the vertical wood grain in across all three at once.



 Once the vertical grain painting is dried I re-position the tape and paint the horizontal wood grain pattern on.


The following photos are of the finished product.