Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Great Start To The Week

Really getting off to a great start this week on the painting a garage door to look like wood project.  After cleaning, priming and applying the base coat of paint on Friday I started the wood graining process Monday. With these doors I am going for a Walnut wood look.  So the base coat of paint is SW Toasty, then I use Java for the first coat of wood grain color and Turkish Coffee for the second and darker wood grain color.

In the first photo it shows the single garage door with the top two rows of panels painted to look like wood and I am working on the bottom two panels.  At the point in the photo I have finished with the center of the panels and I am working on the vertical spaces between the horizontal center part.

The next photo shows the door with all the rows of panels complete.  You can see how I have painted the wood grain in a vertical direction in the space between the center of the panels.  At this point I reposition the tape and paint in the horizontal areas between the rows of panels.

The next two photographs show the completed garage door painted to look like wood.

After I finished the single door I started on the double door.  I was able to get the top two rows complete on that door today (Tuesday).

This next picture is a good one to show how I have repositioned the tape to allow me to paint the wood grain in the vertical area between the panels.  When I took this I had only painted the first wood grain color in.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Good Start To Painting Garage Door To Look Like Wood In Tampa, FL

I really like to start my garage door painting projects on a Friday.  That way the primer and base coat of paint have a few days to really dry and cure before I start to paint the garage door to look like wood.  It seems to me that after a couple of days of drying when I do a brush stroke the brush glides across the surface of the garage door more easily as opposed to working on top of an overnight dry.

So Friday was a good day (but a hot one) as I got the door cleaned up really well.  This door was a little chalky.  By that I mean that the door had been previously painted with house paint.  When I ran my hand over the garage door I got a small amount of 'chalk' residue on it.  So the first thing I did was scrub the door with mild soap and water and a green scotch brite pad.  I tried to get every square inch of the door scrubbed good.  When I rinsed the garage door during that process I could see the chalky residue being washed off.

After I scrubbed and washed the doors I then mixed ammonia in some water and I really but the ammonia in heavy, not quite one to one but almost that.  I took a long handled scrub brush and really scrubbed the door hard with that solution.  I use the ammonia because it has the ablility to cut the chalk off the door really well plus it will get off any grease or other stuff the soap missed.   After the doors dired they were chalk free.

So after that I primed the doors and then applied the base coat of paint which in this case is SW Toasty.  When I got there the doors where a light green color.  In the first photograph you can how I have finished with the single door and starting on the double.  I have my shade tarp up.  It was about 1:30 at this point and you can see the doors finally got in the shade but all morning they were getting direct sunlight, hence the shade tarp.

The next photo is after I finished the base coat and got the area cleaned up.  A good start on painting these garage doors to look like wood.  Monday I wll start the wood graining process.